Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A Lesson From " Lightnin' "

Jordan's AWANA Grand Prix is tonight and I have a problem. I am not very "handy" when it comes to making things with wood. Oh, I have tons of excuses for that, like...I don't have the right tools or enough creativity.

Bottom line is this...My pride is on the line. You know...if I don't make a top notch car that is aerodynamically sanded to perfection, I will be a second-rate dad. What will all the other dad's think? Will my son's car be a complete flop?

Jordan and Ben wanted a car that looked like Lightnin' McQueen from the recent Disney/Pixar film. Their wish was my command. My goodness, we have enough "models" of Lightnin' around the house that I could use. Well, after a trip to my dad's house for a electric sander, I got the thing done this afternoon.

The lesson I learned from this experience is the same lesson Lightnin' learned in the movie...sometimes it's ok to come in last place. Who cares what other people think.

I had fun making the car for the boys and spending the time with them. There were sometimes when I thought I could have gotten a little too carried away with this production, but I had to remind myself that it was only a car made of out of pine.

Don't get me wrong, I do hope Jordan's car races well and doesn't fall apart, but I will take the lesson in humility in exchange for any awards. Lightning did when he pushed "The King" across the finish line.

Kachow!

5 comments:

carissa said...

Great job David!! Andrew was real impressed. Thanks alot...he'll be asking Brent to do that too now :)
Great lessons too! Thanks for sharing

Stephanie said...

I'll have to show Owen the pictures of Jordan's car tomorrow ... I know he'll be very impressed to see "Mah-Keen!" as he calls it ... (:

Erin said...

Great job! It looks like you had a lot of fun doing it. You'll have to let us know how it places.

Liesl said...

whaddadad!

Kelly said...

I am going to have to make sure Adam sees the car since he will me making two in the next few weeks. Hope his car does well but more importantly I think that the boys will think you are the greatest dad! I am sure that Kristi enjoyed watching you all. It always melts a mom's heart to see a father and son working together :)